Monday, September 30, 2013

Announcing OpenGL ES 2.0 for iOS 4

Okay, it's to finish stage representing me to announce Super Secret Project B, which is a modern hardback I'm script on OpenGL ES 2.0 representing iPhone, iPad, and iPod stroke.

Yes, I know I held I wouldn't be script several books in 2010, but the pleasant people next to the Pragmatic Programmers approached me in the same way as I made to facilitate statement with an economically feasible way representing me to put pen to paper a hardback this day. I couldn't say rejection.

My real thing mean had been to take my OpenGL ES from the Ground Up blog posts, supplement them, and try them into a hardback with step-by-step projects to reinforce the points of apiece posts. My week next to WWDC has caused me to revolution to facilitate loom. I went to all the OpenGL ES sessions and spent a trade event amount of stage bending the ear of Allan Schaffer, Apple's Graphics and Games Evangelist, as well as a total of Apple engineers who handiwork on or with OpenGL. After a lot in life of troublesome notion, I came to the conclusion to facilitate the loom considered necessary to revolution. Although enlightened hardware chains the fixed pipeline, Apple has stopped making phones to facilitate require OpenGL ES 1.1. The iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad all not single support OpenGL ES 2.0, but they all require it if you would like to take chock-full improvement of the hardware.

OpenGL ES from the Ground Up, however, listening carefully on the OpenGL ES 1.1 fixed pipeline.

Since OpenGL ES doesn't avow backward compatibility the way workstation OpenGL does, much of the material from the fixed pipeline, such as light, the standard behold and projection matrix, and the run of the mill functions representing submitting vertex, quality, and customary data are all consumed from OpenGL ES 2.0. Instead, you own to market all to facilitate handiwork manually what time you put pen to paper your shaders. Shaders add a quantity of complexity to the process, but collapse you a tremendous amount of power and the capability to put pen to paper more efficient OpenGL code.

During the Desktop globe, it still makes get the impression to gain knowledge of immediate mode chief, followed by regular fixed pipeline, and followed by to finish the programmable pipeline, since workstation OpenGL maintains virtually 100% backwards compatibility across releases, and you can comprehend up and running quickly. On Workstation OpenGL ES, you can even mix and match the discrete modes, accessing the standard behold matrix and light from your shaders. That's not the argument with OpenGL ES, so expenses a a small number of hundred pages schooling things to facilitate won't be applicable to the programmable pipeline seemed like a poor consume of stage, both mine, and my readers'.

But, representing the modern programmer, the programmable pipeline is really troublesome to grok. I've been banging my head this precedent week looking representing a way to offering to facilitate sooner convoluted subject matter in a way to facilitate fill with exclusive of earlier graphics or OpenGL ES experience will be able to understand.

Thanks to a lot in life of fill with willing to converse with me, I think I've show your face up with an loom to facilitate will handiwork, and I'm really excited around it. So, if you discovery OpenGL ES confusing, especially if you discovery the programmable pipeline and shaders confusing, look improbable representing OpenGL ES 2.0 representing iOS4. I don't own a emancipation time yet, but I will pole now what time I own updated in sequence around the production schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment